Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Gender-appropriate behavior

I was happily interested in a NYTimes' World article today on a Peruvian high-ranking female mummy discovered buried with items that characteristically appear only in male tombs, along with other items that characteristically appear only in female tombs. The convention-defying burial included both "weaving materials and needles, befitting a woman" and "2 ceremonial war clubs and 28 spear throwers", customary in male tombs. (I assume the journalist intended a null cultural-context restrictor there on the 'befitting a woman' phrase, i.e., 'befitting a woman in the ancient Moche ["pronounced MOH-chay"] society'.)

I was also happily interested to read that physicists can do even more weird tricks with light now. In the context of the previous article (and also because she's quoted in this one), I was reminded of one of my personal heroes: Lene Hau, the first physicist to ever to slow light to a crawl, and ultimately bring it to a complete halt. Can you imagine: she stopped light. How amazing is that! I should have tried to meet her & get her autograph or something when I was in Cambridge last spring, but didn't think of it. Ah well. Maybe some other time.