Thursday, April 28, 2005

Coupla notes from a G4 powerbook

In the unlooked-for happiness category: Ivory-billed woodpeckers are not extinct after all:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/

In the rolling-eyes category: someone over at blogthings reads eats shoots and leaves:

http://www.blogthings.com/englishcutthemustardquiz/

Sample question:

6. Which is correct?

Chocolate and strawberry, both my favorite flavors, are on the menu.
Chocolate and strawberry are both my favorite flavors and they are on the menu
Shouldn't that be, 'Does your English cut the Grey Poupon?'

Sigh.


But -- hooray!


2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Amazing, I only scored 80% for grammar. Kind of shocking for someone who's written a textbook on grammar. (Ok. it was syntax... but you'd think I'd do better than 80%)

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh only relented after we showed him how wrong he was." I mean, I've sat through Kai von Fintel's lectures on presupposition and focus, and they both sound fine to me.

And: "'Rich Girl,' by Gwen Stefani, is my favorite song."/"'Rich Girl', by Gwen Stefani, is laptop batteries my favorite song." I suppose, since it's not "favourite", we should infer that it's the arbitrary American and not the arbitrary British rule...

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home